Towns & Parishes
"Bobbington parish, on the western verge of the county, nine miles SW of Wolverhampton, has 418 souls and 2630 acres of land, of which 22 souls and about 500 acres, with part of the hamlet of Halfpenny Green, are in Shropshire. The Earl of Stamford and William Moseley, Esq, are the principal proprietors of the soil, and the latter, who has a pleasant seat here, called Leaton Hall, is lord of the manor and impropriator, having purchased the tithes of the late Thomas Whitmore, Esq, of Apley.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Right Hon Sir L Shadwell, the Rev John Pratt, Mr Thomas Bowen, and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish."
The population of Bobbington parish was as follows:
1801 -- 381
1811 -- 366
1821 -- 393
1831 -- 426
1841 -- 418
A surname index only of the 1851 census for Bobbington is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Surname Index Vol 13, Part 1, Wolverhampton published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
"Bobbington Parish Church is a small ancient structure, and is in the diocese of Hereford. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of TC Whitmore, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev George Hilder Betterton Gabert, MA, of Claverley."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Bobbington was originally a chapelry to Claverley parish in Shropshire until it became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1726. It was in Lichfield diocese as a part of Bridgnorth peculiar until it was transferred in 1846 into Hereford diocese. It was transferred back into Lichfield diocese in 1905.
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of Holy Cross commences in 1571. The original registers for the period 1571-1880 (Bapts), 1571-1837 (Mar) & 1571-1947 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1813-1831 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Bobbington from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Bobbington Parish
The parish became part of Seisdon Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 22nd September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2014]