"Bradley, or Bradley-juxta-Stafford, (or Bradeley) is a small ancient village, with a few good houses, and a number of thatched cottages, many of them in a very decayed condition. It is five and a half miles SSW of Stafford, and comprises within its extensive parish 649 inhabitants, and about 4690 acres of land, subdivided into the scattered hamlets of Bradley; Longnor, three miles SE; Wollaston & Shredicote, two miles SW; Billington & Littywood, two and a half miles N by E; Apeton & Barton, one mile W by N; and Alstone, Brough & Rule, extending from one and a quarter to four miles NW of Bradley village. Apeton and the last three named places are partly in Gnosall parish.
The principal owners of the soil are Lord Willoughby de Broke, John Morris, Esq, Lord Stafford, GH & CW Webb, Esqs, Robert Hanbury, Esq and Judge Williams."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]