Towns & Parishes
"Bradley, or Bradley-juxta-Stafford, (or Bradeley) is a small ancient village, with a few good houses, and a number of thatched cottages, many of them in a very decayed condition. It is five and a half miles SSW of Stafford, and comprises within its extensive parish 649 inhabitants, and about 4690 acres of land, subdivided into the scattered hamlets of Bradley; Longnor, three miles SE; Wollaston & Shredicote, two miles SW; Billington & Littywood, two and a half miles N by E; Apeton & Barton, one mile W by N; and Alstone, Brough & Rule, extending from one and a quarter to four miles NW of Bradley village. Apeton and the last three named places are partly in Gnosall parish.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The principal owners of the soil are Lord Willoughby de Broke, John Morris, Esq, Lord Stafford, GH & CW Webb, Esqs, Robert Hanbury, Esq and Judge Williams."
"The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to All Saints, and the benefice is a perpetual curacy, now held by the Rev John Shelley, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church is built of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, lady chapel, north aisle, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and five bells. The font is of Saxon design but Norman construction. Parts of the tower and chancel are early 13c and some original stained glass windows remain. The church was restored in 1907-8, and is now dedicated to St Mary & All Saints.
A view of St Mary & All Saints Church (1).
A view of St Mary & All Saints Church (2).
Church of England Registers
The register of All Saints commenced in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1940 (Bapts), 1538-1944 (Mar) & 1538-1895 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1824-1947 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1636-1867 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers covering Baptisms, 1540-1779 and Marriages & Burials, 1538-1779 has been published (under the title Bradeley) by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Bradley (Bradeley) from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Bradley became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 27th October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]