Towns & Parishes
"Bradley-in-the-Moors is a hamlet and small parish, four miles ESE of Cheadle, containing only 72 inhabitants and 650 acres of land. The Earl of Shrewsbury is the principal owner, lord of the manor, and patron of the church.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The principal inhabitants are the incumbent; Wm Walker, parish clerk and shopkeeper; and Geo Carr, Thos Charlesworth, Ellen Gent, John Gent, Wm Ginders, John Smith, John Tidsworth, and John Wood, farmers."
The population of Bradley-in-the-Moors parish was as follows:
1831 -- 75
1841 -- 72
"Bradley-in-the-Moors parish church, is a small edifice. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, which has been held since 1825 by the Rev Edward Whieldon, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Leonard commences in 1674. The original registers from 1674-1809 (Bapts), 1674-1839 (Mar) & 1674-1993 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1674-1867 (with gaps 1776-91) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1674-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1912.
The parish became part of Cheadle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 8th May 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001]