Towns & Parishes
"Bramshall, or Bromshall, a small village, on the north bank of a little rivulet, two miles W of Uttoxeter, has a station on the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish includes the hamlet of Dagdale, on a declivity, half a mile N of the church, and contains 170 inhabitants and about 1300 acres of land. Lord Willoughby-de-Broke is the principal land owner, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The south side of the village, called Little Bromshall, is in Uttoxeter parish."
The population of Bramshall parish was as follows:
1831 -- 170
1841 -- 170
"Bramshall parish Church, St Lawrence, is a small structure, which was erected on the site of the old one in 1834. The rectory is in the incumbency of the Rev CJ Pinfold."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Lawrence commences in 1587. The original registers for the period 1587-1927 (Bapts), 1587-1996 (Mar) & 1587-1940 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1889 (with gaps 1685-90, 1758-62 & 1766-73) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Bramshall from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The parish became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 24th September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]