Towns & Parishes
"Brierley Hill, one and a half miles N of Stourbridge, and two miles SSE of Kingswinford, is a populous village, containing several streets, many good shops, and extensive coal, iron, and glass works. By an old deed, it appears that coal and ironstone were got here as early as 46th of Edward III.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Brierley Hill was a chapelry in Kingswinford parish until 1848 when it was made a separate ecclesiastical parish."
'Brierley Hill Church and Parish. A Bi-centenary Scrapbook'
by Herbert William Woodwood.
Published 1965, by Parochial Church Council, Brierley Hill.
'Brierley Hill in Old Photographs'
by Stan Hill.
Published 1995, by Sutton, Stroud, Gloucester.
A full indexed transcript of the 1851 census of Kingswinford (PRO Ref. HO 107/2036) has been published in two parts (A-Lad & Ladd-Z) by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Brierley Hill Church (St Michael), was erected by subscription, as a chapel of ease, in about 1767.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the rector of Kingswinford, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Harris, MA, who is assisted by two curates.
The Wesleyans have a large chapel at Gosty Green, the Independents have one in Mill Lane, built in 1839, and the Primitive Methodists have one built in 1831, and enlarged in 1838."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Michael, Brierley Hill, was a chapelry of Kingswinford parish, details of which can be found on the Kingswinford parish page.
Postcard of St Michael's Church (Interior view) c1950.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Michael commences in 1766. The original registers for the period 1766-1896 (Bapts), 1837-1899 (Mar), and 1766-1898 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1766-1781 (listed under Holy Trinity, Wordsley) are deposited at Dudley Archives & Local History Service.
Note that a few marriages performed here before 1837 are entered in the register of St Mary, Kingswinford.
Bishops Transcripts, 1766-1864 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St Michael was published in two parts (1766-1800 & 1800-1812) jointly by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society & the Birmingham & Midland SGH in 1993 & 1986.
Original surviving registers of Nonconformist chapels in Brierley Hill chapelry are deposited at Dudley Archives & Local History Service.
A transcript of the Brierley Hill, Round Oak, Methodist Chapel registers, Baptisms, 1827-1850 and membership list for 1827 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the Brierley Hill, Round Oak, Primitive Methodist Chapel registers, Baptisms, 1850-1864 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the Brierley Hill, Bank Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel registers, Burials, 1833-1884 and pew rents from the account book has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Note : Baptisms of some Brierley Hill residents can be found in the register of High Street Independent Chapel, Stourbridge (1776-1837) and the register of Stourbridge Wesleyan Chapel (1809-1839). Transcripts of both chapels have been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The original registers of the Catholic Church of St Mary commencing in 1859 (Bapts), 1931 (Mar), 1875 (Deaths & Bur), 1866 (Confirmations) remain with the parish priest.
Earlier entries can be found in Stourbridge (Our Lady & All Saints) registers which are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
The chapelry became part of Stourbridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 30th April 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]