"Bucknall Church, (St Mary), on the hill one and a half miles E of Hanley, is a small edifice, which was rebuilt in 1718, and the living is a rectory, with Bagnall curacy attached to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Edward Powys, of Cheddleton.
Bagnall Chapel (St Chad) is a small neat brick building, which was rebuilt in 1834, and stands on a bold hill four miles NE of Hanley.
The New Connection Methodists have a chapel at Bucknall, built in 1824."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Note: Bucknall St Mary, built in 1718 as a chapelry to Stoke-on-Trent, became the parish church of Bucknall-cum-Bagnall in 1807. Bagnall, St Chad was a chapel of ease to Bucknall until 1853, then a chapelry to Stoke-on-Trent before becoming the parish church of Bagnall parish, formed separately in 1896.