Towns & Parishes
"Bucknall-cum-Bagnall, with the Eaves and Ubberley, form a district rectory following an Act of Parliament passed in 1807 entitled 'An Act for separating the Chapelries and Chapels of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Burslem, Whitmore, Bucknall-cum-Bagnall and Norton-in-the-Moors, from the Rectory and Parish Church of Stoke-upon-Trent, and for making them five district rectories'. They comprise about 4200 acres of land, extending from one to four miles E & NE of Hanley, bounded by the Trent and the Cauldon canal. In 1841 they had 1608 inhabitants, of whom 638 were in Bucknall village, one and a half miles from Handley; 374 in Bagnall; 382 in the Eaves, three miles E of Hanley; and 214 in Ubberley. Sir George Chetwynd, Ralph Sneyd, Esq, and Miss Sparrow own a great part of the soil."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Bucknall-cum-Bagnall parish was as follows:
1831 -- 1161
1841 -- 1608
The villages of Bucknall and Eaves are included in the Stoke-on-Trent, Part 1, surname index to the 1851 census published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Bucknall Church, (St Mary), on the hill one and a half miles E of Hanley, is a small edifice, which was rebuilt in 1718, and the living is a rectory, with Bagnall curacy attached to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Edward Powys, of Cheddleton.
Bagnall Chapel (St Chad) is a small neat brick building, which was rebuilt in 1834, and stands on a bold hill four miles NE of Hanley.
The New Connection Methodists have a chapel at Bucknall, built in 1824."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Note: Bucknall St Mary, built in 1718 as a chapelry to Stoke-on-Trent, became the parish church of Bucknall-cum-Bagnall in 1807. Bagnall, St Chad was a chapel of ease to Bucknall until 1853, then a chapelry to Stoke-on-Trent before becoming the parish church of Bagnall parish, formed separately in 1896.
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of Bucknall, St Mary commences in 1758. The original registers for the period 1758-1936 (Bapts), 1765-1936 (Mar) & 1763-1947 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1758-1855 (with some gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The register of Bagnall, St Chad commences in 1800. The original registers for the period 1800-1873 (Bapts), 1800-1914 (Mar) & 1834-1906 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A transcript of the registers covering Baptisms 1762-1812, Marriages 1765-1812 and Burials 1763-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Bucknall-cum-Bagnall Chapelry & Townships
The parish maintained its poor jointly with the rest of Stoke-on-Trent parish following its formation as a district rectory in 1807.
[Last updated: 23rd May 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]