Towns & Parishes
"Burntwood, Edjall, and Woodhouses, are three hamlets of straggling houses, forming a joint township and chapelry (of Lichfield), on the eastern side of Cannock Chase, extending from one and a half to three miles W of Lichfield. Burntwood contains 709 acres and 426 souls, Edjall, 360 acres and 98 souls, and Woodhouses, 1389 acres and 225 souls.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor of Burntwood, and has a paramount jurisdiction in Edjall and Woodhouses, of which SP Wolverstan, Esq, is the mesne lord. On the Chase is an extensive rabbit-warren, with a neat house called Coney Lodge. Maplehayes, the seat of JP Shaw, Esq, and Pipe Hall, an ancient manor house, now occupied by a farmer, are in the hamlet of Woodhouses, as also is Ashenbrook, an ancient farmhouse with some curious relics of stained glass in its windows. Not far from these is Edjall Hall, a good square brick mansion, with a cupola and balustrades, celebrated as the house which that eminent lexicographer, Samuel Johnson, LLD, opened an academy in 1736. It is now a farmhouse."
Burntwood, Edjall, and Woodhouses formed a chapelry and Out-township to Lichfield and details can be found on the Lichfield page.
Burntwood ecclesistical parish was formed on 6th May, 1845.
'Burntwood: Past and Present (reprinted from the Lichfield Mercury)'
by Charles Henry Gregory.
Published 1953, by CH Gregory, Lichfield.
'A County Lunatic Asylum. The History of St Matthew's Hospital (Burntwood)'
by David Budden.
Published 1989, by D Budden, Walsall.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of Christchurch, Burntwood has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
A full transcript and surname index of the 1851 census for Burntwood, Edjall and Woodhouses is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Index Vol 11, Part 1, Lichfield, Cathedral Close and surrounding villages which has been published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
Surname indexes to the 1841, 1871, 1881 & 1891 censuses of the Burntwood area has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
"Burntwood Church, dedicated to Christ, was rebuilt in 1819. Dr Harwood, the historian of Lichfield, was many years incumbent here. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Vicar of St Mary's, Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev R Errington, MA. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church was built in 1819 and consecrated in 1820, on a site given by the first Sir Robert Peel, Bart. It is a structure of brick, and consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and an embattled western tower containing one bell. A vestry was added in 1929 at the western end of the church.
Church of England Registers
The register of Christchurch, Burntwood commences in 1820. The original registers for the period 1820-1941 (Bapts), 1845-1968 (Mar) & 1828-1963 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1820-1963 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A surname index to the register of Christchurch, Burntwood has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
A transcript of the registers of St Ann, Chasetown and St John, Chase Terrace has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
The following registers are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office:
Boney Hay, Burntwood, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1857-79 & 1870-93
Chasetown, Zions Hill Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist, Marriages 1916-67
Chase Terrace, Carmel Chapel, Methodist, Marriages 1948-64
A surname index to the registers of the Methodist Chapels in the Burntwood area has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
An index to the Baptismal, Marriage and Confirmation records of St Joseph Roman Catholic church, Chasetown has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
A transcript of the Burial Records of St Matthews Hospital, Burntwood has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
Burntwood, Edjall and Woodhouses chapelry and township became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Burntwood School Admission Books for the Infants Department 1902-1931 and the Mixed Department 1900-1931 have been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
Burntwood Chase Heritage Group.
[Last updated: 10th November 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2010]