The church is a brick building consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles and a massive embattled western tower of the 12th or 13th century. The whole structure, except the tower, was rebuilt in 1717, when the previous church of timber and plaster was destroyed by fire.
In 1778 the church was re-roofed and lengthened, and the whole church was restored in 1878-80.
Burslem anciently formed a chapelry in Stoke-upon-Trent parish. It was created a parish in 1808 by an Act of Parliament passed in 1807, entitled "An Act for separating the Chapelries and Chapels of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Burslem, Whitmore, Bucknall-cum-Bagnall, and Norton-in-the-Moors, from the Rectory and Parish Church of Stoke-upon-Trent, and for making them Five Distinct Rectories.