"St Paul's church stands in a cemetery of three acres, between Burslem, Longport, and Dalehall. It is a large and handsome Gothic edifice, with a lofty tower. The first stone was laid 24th June 1828 and the fabric was completed by the close of 1830.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the rector of Burslem, and incumbency of the Rev PB Ellis, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church is a large building in Hollington stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of a shallow chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles and an embattled western tower 115 feet high, with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell.
St Paul's originally formed a district chapelry to St John, Burslem, comprising Longport and Dale Hall. It was created an ecclesiastical parish on 24th January 1845.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Paul, Burslem, commences in 1831. The original registers for the period 1831-1937 (Bapts), 1845-1951 (Mar) & 1831-1958 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1845-1966 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1831-1869 (with gaps 1859-60 & 1868) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. There are no marriages in the BTs.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Burslem can be found on the Burslem page