"St Paul's church stands in a cemetery of three acres, between Burslem, Longport, and Dalehall. It is a large and handsome Gothic edifice, with a lofty tower. The first stone was laid 24th June 1828 and the fabric was completed by the close of 1830.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the rector of Burslem, and incumbency of the Rev PB Ellis, BA."
A transcript of the Memorial Inscriptions of St Paul, Burslem, has been published (with St Matthew, Etruria) by the Birmingham & Midland SGH
St Paul's originally formed a district chapelry to St John, Burslem, comprising Longport and Dale Hall. It was created an ecclesiastical parish on 24th January 1845.
An engraving of St Paul's Church pre-1843.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Paul, Burslem, commences in 1831. The original registers for the period 1831-1937 (Bapts), 1845-1951 (Mar) & 1831-1958 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1845-1966 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1831-1869 (with gaps 1859-60 & 1868) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. There are no marriages in the BTs.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Burslem can be found on the Burslem page.
[Last updated: 11th May 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000, 2002]