"Bushbury, or Byshbury parish, comprises the two townships of Bushbury and Essington, the former in Seisdon and the latter in Cuttlestone Hundred. In 1841 its population amounted to 1509 souls, of whom 886 were in Bushbury township, which comprises about 6000 acres of land, extending from two to four miles N of Wolverhampton, and including the hamlets of Bushbury, Ford Houses, Gorsebrook, Coven-heath, Moseley and Oxley. The manor, at the time of the Norman Conquest, was held by William Fitz-Ansculf, whose posterity assumed the name Byshbury. It later belonged to the Grosvenors, and the Goughs, ancestors of Gough, the well known antiquary. In 1790, it was purchased by the late PT Hinckes, Esq, of Tettenhall, whose daughter, Miss Theodosia Hinckes, is now lady of the manor; but TG Whitgreave, John Horton, and Alex Hordern, Esqrs, and some others, have estates here.
Moseley, three and a half miles N by E of Wolverhampton, forms a separate manor of about 500 acres, of which TG Whitgreave, Esq, is lord, and resides at Moseley Court, a modern mansion erected near the old hall, a venerable half-timbered building, now occupied by a farmer, but celebrated as one of the hiding places of Charles II.
The small village of Bushbury is sheltered on the east by a lofty hill, covered with a profusion of yew and other trees, and said to have once been crossed by the great road from London to Chester. The summit of this hill is 650 feet ASL, and commands a rich and extensive prospect. On the declivity are several neat mansions, and the remains of a large tumulus, near which was dug up some years ago the brass head of a catapult, supposed to be of Roman construction. The ancient appellation of the parish, Biscopesburie, would seem to point it out as having been the residence of some of the Mercian bishops.
Essington township, four and a half miles NNE of Wolverhampton, is a district of scattered houses, partly occupied by colliers, but the coal mines here are exhausted. It contains about 1600 acres and 623 souls. General Vernon, of Hilton Park, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the land. Some remains of an ancient residence of the De Essingtons, formerly seated here, may still be traced."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]