Towns & Parishes
"Butterton is a large village, on a steep declivity, nine miles NNW of Mayfield and five miles S of Longnor, comprising within its township and chapelry 388 inhabitants and about 1500 acres of land, forming a high moorland district, but well enclosed and mostly in pasturage. It has many scattered houses, and belongs to about 80 proprietors, who pay small chief rents to the Duke of Devonshire, the lord of the manor. The open fields and common were enclosed under an act passed in 1774. Near a small brook, at the foot of the village, is a sulpherous spring, said to be beneficial in scorbutic cases.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
At Botstone, near the river Manyfold, about a mile west of Butterton, a lead mine was worked about fifteen years ago."
Notes: Butterton is also known as Butterton-in-the-Peak or Butterton by Hulme End to distinguish it from Butterton in Trentham parish, near Newcastle. Although Butterton was a chapelry of Mayfield parish it was physically separated from the remainder of the parish by nine miles.
"The church, or parochial chapel, St Bartholomew, was built in 1781 and has a tower and two bells.
The perpetual curacy, is in the gift of the Vicar of Mayfield, and incumbency of the Rev George Paul Belcher, of Heather, in Leicestershire, for whom the Rev H Richardson, of Bradnop, officiates.
Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1842."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St Bartholomew, Butterton, was a chapelry of Mayfield parish, details of which can be found on the Mayfield parish page.
A view of St Bartholomew's Church (1).
A view of St Bartholomew's Church (2).
A view of St Bartholomew's Church (3).
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1746. The original registers for the period 1746-1889 (Bapts), 1746-1812 & 1840-1892 (Mar) and 1746-1935 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1844 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1660-1864 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the Bishops Transcripts for the period 1660-1751 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Butterton from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
Butterton was incorporated with Alstonfield, Grindon and Wetton in 1817 as a 'Gilbert Union' for the maintenance of their poor under Gilbert's Act of 1782, The four incorporated townships had their workhouse at Alstonfield.
[Last updated: 3rd October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]