"The chapel stands in Mayfield parish and is a small ancient fabric, dedicated to St Mary. It was repaired about four years ago. The benefice is a donative curacy. The inhabitants are the patrons, and the Rev John Holley, BA, is the incumbent."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Although standing in Mayfield parish, the chapel of St Mary, Calton, was a chapelry of Waterfall parish, details of which can be found on the Waterfall parish page.
Calton became a parish in 1902, but in 1934 became part of the newly formed parish of Waterhouses.