Towns & Parishes
"Calton is a parochial chapelry, extending into four parishes, and containing about 2480 acres of land, and 244 inhabitants, of whom 25 are in Croxden, 60 in Blore, 88 in Mayfield, and 71 in Waterfall parish. The whole chapelry maintains its roads conjointly. That division which is in Croxden parish is generally called Dog Lane.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The village of Calton, on a declivity near the Leek road, five miles NW of Ashbourn, is mostly in Mayfield parish.
The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, many of whom reside on their own farms. There are fairs on Calton moor on August 15th and September 20th.
The population of Calton chapelry was as follows:
1831 -- 203
1841 -- 244
"The chapel stands in Mayfield parish and is a small ancient fabric, dedicated to St Mary. It was repaired about four years ago. The benefice is a donative curacy. The inhabitants are the patrons, and the Rev John Holley, BA, is the incumbent."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Although standing in Mayfield parish, the chapel of St Mary, Calton, was a chapelry of Waterfall parish, details of which can be found on the Waterfall parish page.
Calton became a parish in 1902, but in 1934 became part of the newly formed parish of Waterhouses.
Church of England Registers
The register of baptisms for St Mary commences in 1813. The original registers for the period 1813-1915 (Bapts), 1903-1982 (Mar) & 1907-1992 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts (Baptisms only) for the period 1809-1844 (with gap 1840) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
See Waterfall registers and BT's for other entries.
In addition to the surviving parish registers there is also a surviving pocket book belonging to William Rowbotham who was Chapel Clerk, which contains baptisms from 1762 to 1792. This is included in the Staffordshire Record Office microfiche of Calton registers.
Calton became part of Ashbourne Union, except that part in Croxden parish which became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 17th February 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001]