"The parish Church, St Lawrence, stands at Deanshill, near the Castle, and was a very ancient structure, in the Norman style, but was rebuilt in 1844, in the same style. It had previously undergone many repairs.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles H Aitkens, MA.
St Paul's Church, Forebridge was built in 1844 for the chapelry district of Forebridge, and is a handsome cruciform structure, in the early decorated style, crowned by a fine statue of St Paul, and having a bell turret.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the incumbent of Castle Church, and is now held by the Rev Edward Allen, MA. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Note - Castle Church parish church was dedicated to St Lawrence until 1898 when it was re-dedicated to St Mary.