Towns & Parishes
"Cauldon or Caldon, is a straggling village, on a declivity, seven miles NE of Cheadle, and seven miles W by N of Ashbourne. Its parish contains 326 inhabitants, and 1570 acres of land, in a barren part of the Moorlands. Cauldon Lowe, a lofty hill in this parish, is valuable for its extensive quarries of excellent Limestone, of which immense quantities are sent by a railway to the Caldon Canal and the station at Froghall, and thence dispatched to various parts of the country for manuring the land, for building purposes, and for the use of iron smelting furnaces, for which latter purpose it is peculiarly adapted.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The North Staffs Railway Company are lessees of the quarries, and pay three-fifths of the rent to the Earl of Shrewsbury, one-fifth to the Hon Mrs Cavendish and the remaining one-fifth to Mr Cropper, J Bill, Esq, and Mr George Woolliscroft.
Waterhouses, a scattered village, one mile NW of Cauldon, on the banks of the Hamps river, is partly in Waterfall parish."
'The Caldon Canal and Tramroads...'
by Peter Lead
Published 1979, by Oakwood Press, Blandford.
Second enlarged Edition published 1990, by Oakwood Press.
The population of Cauldon parish was as follows:
1831 -- 347
1841 -- 326
"Cauldon Church is a small building, dedicated to St Mary & St Laurence.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of A Henneker, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. RH Goodacre, MA, of Waterfall."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Mary & St Laurence commences in 1580. The original registers for the period 1580-1916 (Bapts), 1580-1983 (Mar) & 1580-1992 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1666-1856 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Cheadle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 11th April 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001]