"Caverswall, vulgarly called Careswell, is a pleasant but irregularly built village, near the source of the River Blythe, three and a half miles W by S of Cheadle, and seven miles E by S of Newcastle-under-Lyme, being only about one mile N of Blythe Bridge Station on the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish is divided into the two townships of Caverswall and Weston-Coyney with Hulme, and contains 1505 inhabitants and about 5380 acres of land, of which 1570 acres and 567 souls are in Caverswall, and 3810 acres and 938 souls in Weston-Coyney and Hulme. TH Parker, Esq is principal owner and lord of the manor of Caverswall, and Chas. Coyney, Esq of Weston-Coyney & Hulme. Caverswall has two annual fairs for horses, cattle and swine, held on the second Thursdays in April and October. The most remarkable object in the village is Caverswall Castle, founded in the reign of Edward II by Sir Wm. de Caverswall, who surrounded it by extensive ponds and a deep moat with a drawbridge. The present castle is an extensive mansion and is now a nunnery, being purchased in 1811 by a small convent of Benedictine nuns. Weston-Coyney and Hulme are two neighbouring hamlets forming a manor, one mile W of Caverswall, and including the hamlets of Adderley and Wherrington, the latter of which is on the Cheadle road, four miles east of Hanley. In the manor are three gentlemen's seats, viz, Weston-Coyney Hall, the seat of Chas. Coyney, Esq, Adderley House, the residence of Mrs Walklate, and Park Hall, the seat of Thos. Hawe Parker, Esq. Cellar Head, a hamlet three miles N of Caverswall, is partly in Cheddleton parish, and has two annual fairs for horses, cattle and sheep, held on 5th May and the first Thursday in November. A few houses in Meir, near Lane End, are in Caverswall parish" [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Caverswall Church is a neat structure, near the castle, rebuilt about two centuries ago by Matthew Cradock and dedicated to St Peter. It is in the early English style, and contains many monuments to the Parker family, one of which is in the memory of the Countess St Vincent, who died in 1816. TH Parker is patron of the vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alex Goode. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in Caverswall, and the New Connexion Methodists have one at Wherrington."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Peter commences in 1552. The original registers for the period 1552-1895 (Bapts), 1552-1920 (Mar) & 1552-1916 (Bur), (with some gaps and illegibility in early years) and Banns for the period 1846-1861 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1663-1864 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. An indexed transcript of the Caverswall St Peter register for the period 1552-1643 (Bapts, Mar & Bur), 1662-1703 (Bapts & Mar) and 1662-1682 (Bur) was published jointly in 2001 by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Nonconformist Registers The registers of the Roman Catholic Chapel of Caverswall (Castle), St Filumela, commence in 1811. The original registers are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.