Towns & Parishes
"Chebsey is a small scattered village in the narrow valley near the confluence of Eccleshall water with the River Sow, two and a half miles E of Eccleshall, and five miles NW of Stafford. Its parish contains two manors and townships, Chebsey, which includes the hamlet of Shallowford, one mile to the NE, and contains 401 inhabitants and 2812 acres of land, of which the Earl of Lichfield is lord and principal owner, and Cold Norton, a township of four farms, two miles NW of Chebsey, containing only 41 inhabitants, and about 1100 acres of land, all belonging to Ralph Sneyd, Esq. Between Cold Norton and Chebsey is Norton Bridge Station, at a junction of the London and North Western with the North Staffordshire Railway.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Hilcote Hall, the seat of WS Dixon, Esq, belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, and was anciently the seat of the Noels."
The population of Chebsey parish was as follows:
1831 -- 414
1841 -- 442
"The parish Church stands above the village of Chebsey, and is an ancient Gothic structure, dedicated to All Saints. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral, and incumbency of the Rev. L Panting."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Postcard of All Saints Church c1903.
Church of England Registers
The surviving parish register of the parish church of All Saints commences in 1713. The original registers for the period 1713-1869 (Bapts), 1754-1837 (Mar) & 1713-1750 (Bur) (with some gaps and illegibility in early years) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1845 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1660-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1965 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]