"Cheddleton is a small village, pleasantly situated on an eminence above the Caldon canal and the River Churnet, three miles S of Leek. On the opposite side of the valley it has a railway station on the Churnet Valley line, near Basford Bridge. Its parish comprises about 9000 acres of land and 1824 inhabitants, in the townships of Cheddleton and Consall; the former of which includes Basford and Rownall hamlets, and the long village of Wetley Rocks.
Cheddleton is the largest township, and has 1634 inhabitants, of whom 345 are in Basford, 477 in Rownall, and about 600 at the Wetley Rocks. Captain Thomas Powys is lord of the manor of Cheddleton, and has a pleasant seat called Westwood Hall, five miles E of Burslem. Ashcombe Hall, in a beautiful park near the canal and the river, one and a half miles S of Cheddleton, is the seat of the Rev John Sneyd. Heath House is the residence of Charles Boreham, Esq.
Basford, three and a half miles S by E of Leek, is a hamlet and manor, of which the Rev J Sneyd is lord. Basford Hall is the seat of the Rev Samuel Bradshaw, MA. Here is a silk, also a paper mill, and near Basford Bridge is Cheddleton Railway Station.
Consall, or Cunsall, is a small village and township of 190 souls, two and a half miles SE of Cheddleton, mostly belonging to John Leigh, Esq., the lord of the manor, and CS Smith, Esq. The latter resides at the Hall. At Consall Wood, the Caldon canal passes through a deep glen, in which are extensive limekilns, chiefly for agricultural purposes.
Rownall hamlet, four and a half miles ENE of Hanley, has 477 inhabitants, and a scattered village. Rownall Hall is the pleasant seat of Smith Child, Esq, MP, who was elected one of the parliamentary representatives of North Staffordshire in February, 1851.
Wetley Rocks give name to a long village, picturesquely situated five miles S of Leek, and six miles E by N of Hanley. The village is in Cheddleton township, and has many neat stone houses. It is celebrated for its huge rocks and quarries of red and white freestone, in great request for building churches as well as for steps and curb stones. The pleasant mansion called Wetley Abbey, is the seat of GM Mason, Esq."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]