"Chorlton chapelry (to Eccleshall), contains the neighbouring villages and joint townships of Chapel & Hill Chorlton, seated on an eminence, six miles N of Eccleshall, and two and a half miles SSE of Whitmore Railway Station. They contain together 365 inhabitants, and 1863 acres of land, of which Rev Sir Henry Delves Broughton, Bart, is the principal owner, and lord of the manor, but Messrs Joseph & Hugh Brittain, and some others, have estates here. Stableford Bridge, which here crosses a rivulet, gives name to a hamlet partly in Chorlton and partly in Swinnerton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Chorlton Church (St Lawrence), was rebuilt in 1827. It is a neat stone building, with a tower.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. HJ Hatch, BA.
Near Hill Chorlton is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1834, on land given by the Duke of Sutherland."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Lawrence, Chorlton, was a chapelry of Eccleshall parish, details of which can be found on the Eccleshall parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Lawrence commences in 1564. The original registers for the period 1564-1710 & 1715-1813, (Bapts, Mar & Burs), 1813-1891 (Bapts) & 1817-1996 (Mar), and Banns for the period 1855-1966 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Burial registers for the period 1813-date are held by the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts, 1681-1876 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
NB - the registers are listed under the title 'Chapel Chorlton'
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Chapel Chorlton which are provided by: