GENUKI Home page
Staffordshire Staffordshire
county page
  GENUKI Contents GENUKI
Contents
  Parish Index Staffordshire
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

Chorlton

"Chorlton chapelry (to Eccleshall), contains the neighbouring villages and joint townships of Chapel & Hill Chorlton, seated on an eminence, six miles N of Eccleshall, and two and a half miles SSE of Whitmore Railway Station. They contain together 365 inhabitants, and 1863 acres of land, of which Rev Sir Henry Delves Broughton, Bart, is the principal owner, and lord of the manor, but Messrs Joseph & Hugh Brittain, and some others, have estates here. Stableford Bridge, which here crosses a rivulet, gives name to a hamlet partly in Chorlton and partly in Swinnerton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Cemeteries

A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of St Lawrence, Chapel Chorlton, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.

Return to top of page

Census

The population of Chapel & Hill Chorlton township was as follows:
1831 -- 386
1841 -- 365

Return to top of page

Church History

"Chorlton Church (St Lawrence), was rebuilt in 1827. It is a neat stone building, with a tower.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. HJ Hatch, BA.
Near Hill Chorlton is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1834, on land given by the Duke of Sutherland."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)

The church of St Lawrence, Chorlton, was a chapelry of Eccleshall parish, details of which can be found on the Eccleshall parish page.

Postcard of St Lawrence Church c1905.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Registers
The register of St Lawrence commences in 1564. The original registers for the period 1564-1710 & 1715-1813, (Bapts, Mar & Burs), 1813-1891 (Bapts) & 1817-1996 (Mar), and Banns for the period 1855-1966 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Burial registers for the period 1813-date are held by the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts, 1681-1876 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
NB - the registers are listed under the title 'Chapel Chorlton'

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law etc

The chapelry became part of Newcastle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.

Return to top of page
Valid HTML 4.0!

[Last updated: 1st May 2010, Mike Harbach.  © 1998 - 2010]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.