Towns & Parishes
"Church Eaton is a long village, consisting principally of one street of detached but well built houses, pleasantly situated six miles SW by W of Stafford, and the same distance W by N of Penkridge. Its parish contains 743 inhabitants, and about 4930 acres of land, divided into four liberties or constablewicks, Church Eaton with Sushions farm; Wood Eaton with Orslow; High Onn; and Little Onn with Marston. The soil is generally fertile, having a good strong loam, both in the meadows and uplands. John Morris, Esq, is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, but here are several smaller owners.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
High Onn contains 686 acres, divided into three farms, one mile W by S of Church Eaton. TW Giffard, Esq owns the greater part of it, and the rest belongs to the heirs of the late Matthew Parkes, Esq.
Little Onn hamlet comprises 870 acres of land, one and a half miles S of Church Eaton, and is the sole property of Charles Aston, Esq, who has a pleasant seat here called Rye Hill House.
Marston comprises a scattered village, and 364 acres of land, two miles S of Church Eaton. It belongs to T Perry, Esq, and others but is in the manor of Lapley.
Orslow is a hamlet, with three farms, three miles SW of Church Eaton, belonging to the Earl of Bradford and Mr H Webb.
Wood Eaton hamlet comprises three farms and a few cottages, half a mile NW of Church Eaton. John Morris, Esq, owns all the land except for a small estate belonging to the grammar school"
'Some Account of the Parish of Church Eaton, in the County of Stafford '
by George Thomas Orlando Bridgeman
Published 1884, by Harrison & Sons, London.
A surname index of the 1851 census of Church Eaton parish is included in the 1851 Census Surname Index, Staffordshire, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The church, St Editha, is an ancient structure, in the Saxon style of architecture, with a low tower, supporting a spire of modern erection. The south side of the building likewise appears to have been rebuilt in modern times, from the square form of its windows. Earl Talbot is patron of the rectory, in the incumbency of the Hon & Rev AC Talbot, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
A view of St Editha's Church (1).
A view of St Editha's Church (2).
A view of St Editha's Church (3).
Church of England Registers
The register of St Editha commenced in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1928 (Bapts), 1538-1945 (Mar) & 1538-1928 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1824-1887 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1660-1854 (with gaps 1841-53) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers covering the period 1538-1812 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Church Eaton parish became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 15th May 2004, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2004]