"Clifton Campville is a village and manor, with 341 inhabitants, in the vale of the Mease, and near the junction of the four counties of Stafford, Derby, Leicester and Warwick, five miles NNE of Tamworth. Its parish has three townships, Clifton, Haunton, and Harlaston, in Staffordshire, and one in Derbyshire, called Chilcote. These four townships contain 921 inhabitants and 5470 acres.
Clifton and Haunton maintain their poor conjointly, and contain together about 3000 acres of land, all belonging to Henry John Pye, Esq, of Clifton Hall, a handsome square mansion, in a verdant park finely planted with elms. For some time after the Norman conquest, the manor of Clifton was held by the king, and from the year 1200 to 1315, by the Camville family. In 1700 it was sold, by the Coventry family, to Sir Charles Pye, Bart, an ancestor of the present owner.
Haunton is a village of 197 souls, one mile W of Clifton Campville, with which it forms a joint township. Haunton Hall, a handsome modern mansion, is the seat of CE Mousley, Esq.
Chilcote is a township and chapelry in Derbyshire, but in this parish, two miles ESE of Clifton Campville. It has 1300 acres and 162 inhabitants. Near it is a small common called No-man's Heath, with a cross cut in the turf to mark the converging points of the four counties which here unite, as mentioned above. John Robertson, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the township.
Harlaston village and township, was a chapelry to Clifton Campville and details can be found on the Harlaston
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]