Towns & Parishes
"Clifton Campville is a village and manor, with 341 inhabitants, in the vale of the Mease, and near the junction of the four counties of Stafford, Derby, Leicester and Warwick, five miles NNE of Tamworth. Its parish has three townships, Clifton, Haunton, and Harlaston, in Staffordshire, and one in Derbyshire, called Chilcote. These four townships contain 921 inhabitants and 5470 acres.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Clifton and Haunton maintain their poor conjointly, and contain together about 3000 acres of land, all belonging to Henry John Pye, Esq, of Clifton Hall, a handsome square mansion, in a verdant park finely planted with elms. For some time after the Norman conquest, the manor of Clifton was held by the king, and from the year 1200 to 1315, by the Camville family. In 1700 it was sold, by the Coventry family, to Sir Charles Pye, Bart, an ancestor of the present owner.
Haunton is a village of 197 souls, one mile W of Clifton Campville, with which it forms a joint township. Haunton Hall, a handsome modern mansion, is the seat of CE Mousley, Esq.
Chilcote is a township and chapelry in Derbyshire, but in this parish, two miles ESE of Clifton Campville. It has 1300 acres and 162 inhabitants. Near it is a small common called No-man's Heath, with a cross cut in the turf to mark the converging points of the four counties which here unite, as mentioned above. John Robertson, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the township.
Harlaston village and township, was a chapelry to Clifton Campville and details can be found on the Harlaston page.
The population of Clifton Campville parish was as follows:
1831 -- 801
1841 -- 921
"Clifton Campville Church, St Andrew, is adorned with one of the finest spires in the kingdom, and has two chancels, separated by a handsome screen. In the south chancel is an ancient monument, with recumbent effigies, to the memory of Sir John Vernon and his lady. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Chilcote annexed to it. HJ Pye, Esq is the patron, and the Rev HJ Pye, jun, BA, is the incumbent.
Adjoining Haunton Hall is a neat Roman Catholic Chapel, with a cupola and bell."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Andrew commences in 1662. The original registers for the period 1662-1862 (Bapts), 1662-1989 (Mar) & 1662-1865 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1824-1915 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1664-1867 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Clifton Campville parish became part of Tamworth Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 25th May 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]