"Codsall parish is divided into the two townships of Codsall and Oaken, and contains 1096 inhabitants and 2580 acres of land, which forms part of Lord Wrottesley's manor of Tettenhall Clericorum, but a great part of the soil belongs to other proprietors. Codsall township has 1589 acres, and a small village picturesquely situated on an eminence, five miles NW of Wolverhampton, and three and a half miles S by W of Brewood.
Here are several neat villas, and a railway station, and near Codsall Wood, an extensive common adjoining Chillington Park wall and Shropshire, is a remarkable sulphureous spa, which springs up through the hollow stump of a tree, and runs down the road, leaving a yellowness on the moss resembling flour of brimstone. It is considered very salutary in scorbutic cases, and was anciently famed for the cure of leprosy.
Oaken is an ancient hamlet and township, with 324 inhabitants and 1298 acres of land, one mile SW of Codsall. It has two handsome mansions, but most of the other dwellings are constructed of wood, plaster and thatch."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]