Towns & Parishes
"Codsall parish is divided into the two townships of Codsall and Oaken, and contains 1096 inhabitants and 2580 acres of land, which forms part of Lord Wrottesley's manor of Tettenhall Clericorum, but a great part of the soil belongs to other proprietors. Codsall township has 1589 acres, and a small village picturesquely situated on an eminence, five miles NW of Wolverhampton, and three and a half miles S by W of Brewood.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Here are several neat villas, and a railway station, and near Codsall Wood, an extensive common adjoining Chillington Park wall and Shropshire, is a remarkable sulphureous spa, which springs up through the hollow stump of a tree, and runs down the road, leaving a yellowness on the moss resembling flour of brimstone. It is considered very salutary in scorbutic cases, and was anciently famed for the cure of leprosy.
Oaken is an ancient hamlet and township, with 324 inhabitants and 1298 acres of land, one mile SW of Codsall. It has two handsome mansions, but most of the other dwellings are constructed of wood, plaster and thatch."
'Codsall and Claregate (The Archive Photographs Series)'
by Alec Brew
Published 1996, by Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'Around Tettenhall and Codsall in Old Photographs'
by Mary Mills
Published 1990, by Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'A History of Codsall, Patshull & Pattingham'
(Abstract from Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX)
by MW Greenslade
Published 1989, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.
The population of Codsall parish was as follows:
1831 -- 1115
1841 -- 1096
A surname index of the 1851 census of Codsall parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church, dedicated to St Nicholas, is a handsome structure, which has lately been rebuilt, except the tower, in the decorative style of the 14th century. Lord Wrottesley rebuilt the chancel, which contains a fine old monument, on which rests the recumbent figure of Walter Wrottesley. His Lordship is impropriator of the great tithes and patron of the perpetual curacy, now in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Trower.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The website of St Nicholas parish church includes information and photographs of the church.
A view of St Nicholas Church, Codsall.
A view of the Interior of St Nicholas Church, Codsall.
A view of the Wrottesley Tomb, St Nicholas Church, Codsall.
Postcard of St Nicholas Church, Codsall, c 1905.
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Nicholas commences in 1587. The original registers for the period 1587-1963 (Bapts), 1587-1973 (Mar) & 1587-1928 (Bur) and Banns 1754-1811 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1855 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the St Nicholas registers for the period 1587-1812 for Baptisms & Burials, and 1587-1843 for Marriages, was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1963 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Codsall from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
[Last updated: 4th February 2015, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2015]