Towns & Parishes
"Colton, a long straggling village, about a mile E of Colwich Station, and two miles N by E of Rugeley, gives name to a highly cultivated parish, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Trent, and one of its tributary streams. It contains 3870 acres, 672 souls, and a number of scatttered houses, extending one and a half miles N and S of the church. The soil is a fertile loam, with a good proportion of meadows, and belongs to Richard Green, Esq, JO Oldham, Esq, the Earl of Lichfield, Lord Bagot, TG Whitgreave, Esq, and a number of smaller owners. JO Oldham, Esq, is lord of the manor, and resides in Bellamour Hall, a handsome mansion with sylvan grounds, on the north side of the Trent, near Wolseley Bridge. The Manor House Farm belongs to Lord Bagot, and is occupied by Mr HW Holland. Colton Hall, now a farm-house, belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, and was rebuilt after being burnt down about 120 years ago.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Newland is a small village on a lofty eminence, one and a half miles N of Colton, and a little to the west of it is the hamlet of Lea Lane."
Monumental Inscriptions for Colton, St Mary the Virgin have been transcribed and published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Colton parish was as follows:
1831 -- 675
1841 -- 672
A full transcription of the 1851 census for the parish of Colton is included in the 1851 Census, Staffordshire, Lichfield, part 2, Vol 11 transcription published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Parish Church is a small ancient edifice, dedicated to St Mary, but the nave was rebuilt of brick in 1798, and the whole fabric is about to be restored and enlarged. The rectory is in the patronage of the Rev CW Landor, and incumbency of the Rev Abdial Seaton, BA.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1838."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1647. The original registers for the period 1647-1900 (Bapts), 1647-1939 (Mar) & 1647-1987 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1856 (with gaps 1766-70) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 21st April 2008, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2008]