"Colwich Church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St Michael, and contains a number of monuments belonging to the Anson, Wolseley, Sparrow and other families. The burial place of the Ansons is in the shape of a catacomb, in one of the five compartments of which are walled up the remains of that celebrated admiral and circumnavigator, the first Lord Anson. The vicarage is in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and from 1828 to 1851 was in the incumbency of the Ven George Hodson, MA, archdeacon of Stafford, who resigned the living to the Rev Edward Harland, MA.
Hayward Chapel of Ease, St Stephen, is a neat Gothic structure, built in 1840. The Rev William Stone, MA is the curate. Here also is an Independent Chapel, built in 1848.
The handsome Roman Catholic Chapel, St John the Baptist, which was built in Tixall in the early part of the century, was taken down and rebuilt at Great Haywood, in 1845. The Rev O Chevalier is the priest.
Mount Pavilion, a large Gothic mansion near Colwich and Great Haywood, was purchased in 1836 by a community of Benedictine Nuns and now forms a beautiful monastery, called St Benedict's Priory, of which Mrs F Knight is the prioress, and the Rev James Dullard the priest."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]