Towns & Parishes
"Coppenhall is a scattered village, township, and chapelry (to Penkridge), four miles NNW of Penkridge, containing 100 inhabitants, and 900 acres of land, belonging to Lord Willoughby de Broke, Miss Clarke, and several smaller proprietors, but Baron Stafford is lord of the manor."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Coppenhall township was as follows:
1831 -- 100
1841 -- 119
A surname index of the 1851 census of Coppenhall township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St Lawrence, is a small ancient building, with only about 60 sittings.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Price, of Dunstan."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Lawrence, Coppenhall, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish, details of which can be found on the Penkridge parish page.
A view of St Lawrence's Church.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Lawrence commences in 1678. The original registers for the period 1678-1812 (Bapts) & 1678-1996 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Baptism registers for the period 1812-date are held by the incumbent. Burials are recorded in the Penkridge parish registers.
Bishops Transcripts, 1762-1859 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register for the period 1678-1837 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The chapelry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 19th July 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000, 2002]