Towns & Parishes
"Cotton is a long but narrow township of 519 souls, situated in Alton parish. It includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Cotton, seven miles W of Ashbourn, and many scattered houses, extending from two to four miles n of Alton, bounded on the east by the Weaver Hills, and on the south by Oakamoor. There was a copper mine at Ribden, and there were foundations of a smelting furnace at 'Blazing Star' but the former was discontinued in 1827, and the latter many years before. The extensive limekilns of Cauldon Low are partly in this township.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
In 1844, T Gilbert, Esq, sold Cotton Hall to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who converted it into a monastery for monks of The Order of the Passion. Connected to this monastic institution by a cloister is the handsome chapel of St Wilfred, erected by the Earl in 1846, in the decorated style, with stained glass windows."
'A History of Sedgley Park and Cotton College'
by Frank Roberts & Neil Henshaw
Published 1985, by F Roberts.
"At Lower Cotton is a chapel of Ease, dedicated to St John the Baptist, and built in 1795, by Thomas Gilbert, Esq.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Earl of Shrewsbury, and the Rev W Hendrickson is incumbent both here and at Oakamoor."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The chapel of St John the Baptist, Cotton, was a chapelry of Alton parish, details of which can be found on the Alton parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St John the Baptist commences in 1795. The original registers are included in the registers of Alton parish deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1795-1812 (Bapts) & 1795-1796 (Mar) is included in the transcript of the Alton registers published jointly in 2002 by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Cotton was part of Alton parish which became part of Cheadle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 20th July 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002]