Anglican Church History
For Anglican church history see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church History
"Here is a large Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1810, and enlarged in 1834, when nearly an acre of land was annexed to it as a burial ground. It will seat about 2000, and has large day and Sunday schools. Here is also a neat Primitive Methodist Chapel, and a small Independent Chapel, but the latter is disused. On The Green is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1850. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Wesleyan Methodists first preaching room in the town was in Church Street, near the Bell Inn. Their next meeting house was built for the purpose in 1790 in Meeting Street, now called Bilston Street. The first chapel was built in 1810 in Pinfold Street and enlarged in 1834. It was eventually demolished and replaced by dwellings named Wesley Fold. The Wesleyan Chapel on The Green was built in 1844 but following destruction due to mining activity, was rebuilt in 1870 in Perry Street. It closed shortly after celebrating its centenary in 1970 and was eventually demolished in 1983.
The United Methodist Free Church in Great Croft Street was built in 1852 with accommodation for 500 worshipers. It has now been demolished and replaced with a landscaped area.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Bell Street was built in 1836 and enlarged in 1879 to seat 900 people. In 1908 the building became unsafe due to a subterranean fire and the Olympia Cinema was established on the site in 1912. The chapel was replaced by Slater Street Methodist Chapel in 1910. This was demolished in 1979 and replaced by a smaller modern building in 1980.
The Independent or Congregational Chapel built in 1793 in Church Street was the first building in Darlaston to be lighted with gas. It eventually fell into disuse and was purchased in 1874 by the Roman Catholic Church to serve as the Saint Joseph's RC Church. This building was replaced in 1933 with a new church opposite St Lawrence, and this in turn was replaced by a new church on the same site built in the shape of a nut to symbolise the nut and bolt industry of the town.
Postcard of Slater Street Primitive Methodist Chapel c1935