Darlaston All Saints
All Saint's ecclesiastical parish was formed in October 1872 and the church in All Saints Road was consecrated in that year. On the 31st July 1942 it was completely destroyed when a bomb from a German air raid on nearby factories stuck the church building. The parish registers were also destroyed in the raid. A new church was opened on the site in 1952.
All Saints ecclesiastical parish was formed in October, 1872 from parts of Darlaston and Wednesbury civil parishes. The church itself, situated in All Saints Road, was a brick building in the Early English style, designed by GE Street, RA, and consisted of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, west porch and a turret at the west end containing two exposed bells. It was consecrated in 1872. It was erected as a memorial to Samuel Mills of Darlaston by his wife and children.
The bomb from the air raid in 1942 which destroyed the church made a crater in the ground 50 feet deep and 40 feet across and also destroyed the parish hall. Services were held in the former All Saints Day School until a new church was built in 1952. The new church was designed by Lavender & Twentyman of Wolverhampton.
The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Simeon Trustees.
Postcard of All Saints Church 1903
Postcard of All Saints Church interior 1903
Postcard of All Saints Church altar 1903
Church of England Registers
The registers of All Saints Church which dated from 1872, were destroyed in a bombing raid in World War II.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Darlaston can be found on the Darlaston page.
[Last updated: 27th April 2011, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2011]