Darlaston St George
"St George's Church, now building under Peel's Act, for a district parish comprising The Green, Blockall, Foster Street and about one-half of Darlaston, will be a handsome structure, in the early English style, with a nave, aisles, chancel and spire."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions for St Lawrence, St George and the Wesleyan Methodist churches has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
St George's ecclesiastical district was formed in October, 1844. Due to lack of funds to build a church, services were originally held in the Sunday School building. The church itself, situated in The Green, a stone building in the Early English style, consisted of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, south porch and a turret at the north west angle containing one bell, and was consecrated in 1852. The church was restored and added to in 1885 and 1890. Due to falling attendances, the church was closed following the last service on 17th February 1974 and demolished in March 1975. The parish reverted to St Lawrence.
The living was a vicarage in the alternate gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield.
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of St George commences in 1845. The original registers for the period 1845-1973 (Bapts & Mar) & 1852-1908 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Darlaston can be found on the Darlaston page.
[Last updated: 27th April 2011, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2011]