Towns & Parishes
"Dilhorne, or Dilhorn, is a small but pleasant village, two and a half miles WNW of Cheadle and four miles E by N of Longton, comprising within its parish the townships of Dilhorne and Forsbrooke which support their poor conjointly. The former has 736, and the latter 843 souls, and they contain together about 3550 acres of land. Dilhorne Hall, the handsome seat of Edward Buller, Esq, the lord of the manor, stands in the centre of the village and was rebuit in the ancient style about 20 years ago. In the parish are several coal mines. Lady Pilkington, TH Parker, Esq, Bamford & Co, and a few smaller owners have estates here.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Forsbrook is a large village, near Blythe Bridge Station, three miles WSW of Cheadle. It has many good houses, occupied by farmers, publicans and tradesmen, and many cottages, occupied by coal carters and labourers.
Blythe-Marsh, a village in Forsbrook liberty, near the river Blythe, three and a half miles WSW of Cheadle, is inhabited partly by earthenware hawkers."
'Nanny and I'
(Social conditions in Dilhorne, 1911-1925)
by Ruth Plant
Published 1978, by Kimber, London.
The population of Dilhorne parish was as follows:
1831 -- 1510
1841 -- 1579
"The Parish Church is a large and ancient edifice, dedicated to All Saints, but the nave and aisle were rebuilt in 1819. The living is a vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev CT Dawes, MA. There is a chapel of ease, St Peter, at Forsbrook in the incumbency of the Rev AF Boucher, of Dilhorne."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A view of All Saints Church (1).
A view of All Saints Church (2).
A view of All Saints Church (3).
The ecclesiastical parish of Forsbrook with Blythe Marsh was formed in May, 1849.
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of All Saints commences in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1846 (Bapts), 1559-1960 (Mar) & 1559-1933 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1662-1862 (with gaps 1753, 1840) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Cheadle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 19th July 2003, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2003]