"Draycott-in-the-Moors is a scattered village, on the Newcastle and Uttoxeter road, near the river Blythe, two and a half miles SSW of Cheadle and half a mile N of Creswell Station, on the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish contains only 518 inhabitants, though it has about 3700 acres of land, all belonging to Sir Edward Vavasour, Bart, the lord of the manor. Creswell, half a mile south of Draycott, is a hamlet in this parish. Totmonslow, on a lofty eminence, half a mile E of Draycott, is another hamlet in this parish, and gives name to this Hundred. It had once a tumulus of some Saxon chief. The Hundred Court was formerly held here in a building now a beerhouse. Here resided Joseph Reeves, a shepherd, who lived to the age of 127 years, and accounted for his extreme longevity, under God, to his never having taken tobacco or physic, nor drank between meals, alleviating his thirst by rolling pebbles in his mouth." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The Parish Church of St Margaret stands on an eminence near the village. The nave was rebuilt in 1727 and restored in 1849-50, when the chancel was rebuilt, and the whole fabric restored. The rectory is in the patronage of Sir Edward Vavasour, and incumbency of the Rev CW Stocker, DD. Creswell has a Catholic Chapel, St Mary's, erected in 1816, on the site of an old one, by the late Dowager Lady Stourton, who died in 1841, and was lady of the manor of Draycott. The richly carved font, and the stone cross in the burial ground, were designed by Pugin. The Rev JK Dunne is the priest." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Margaret commences in 1669. The original registers for the period 1669-1941 (Bapts), 1669-1978 (Mar) & 1669-1935 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1676-1868 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers The register of the Roman Catholic church of St Mary, Creswell commences in 1780. The original registers for the period 1780-1919 are deposited in the Birmingham Diocesan Archives. A printed transcript of the register of St Mary for 1780-1819 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1959 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.