"Drayton Bassett is a village and parish, occupying a gentle declivity two and a half miles S by W of Tamworth, and containing 406 inhabitants, and about 3900 acres of land, most of which belongs to Sir Robert Peel, Bart, MP, who resides at Drayton Manor, an elegent and extensive mansion, delightfully situated in a beautiful park, two miles S of Tamworth, near the site of an ancient manor house which was taken down about 15 years ago. The small hamlets of Bangley and Sherral Park, about two miles N of Drayton, are the property of Lord Wenlock." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Drayton Bassett parish was as follows: 1831 -- 459 1841 -- 404
"Drayton Parish Church, dedicated to St Peter, was rebuilt about 50 years ago, except the tower. It is a plain Gothic structure, under which is the vault in which the remains of Sir Robert Peel were interred July 9th, 1850. The rectory is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev WM Lally, DCL." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Peter commences in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1943 (Bapts), 1559-1836 (Mar) & 1559-1899 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1823-1940 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1664-1881 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.