Towns & Parishes
"Dunston, a hamlet, township, and chapelry (to Penkridge), two miles N of Penkridge, contains 250 inhabitants, and about 1000 acres of land. Mr William Critchley owns 250 acres, and nearly all the rest belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, the lord of the manor."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Dunston township was as follows:
1801 -- 208
1831 -- 272
1841 -- 250
A surname index of the 1851 census of Dunston township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St Leonard, is a small modern brick edifice, except the tower, which is of stone, and appears very ancient.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Price, who is also incumbent of Coppenhall."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Leonard, Dunston, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish, details of which can be found on the Penkridge parish page.
A view of St Leonard's Church (1).
A view of St Leonard's Church (2).
Church of England Registers
The register of St Leonard commences in 1853. The original registers for the period 1853-1952 (Bapts) & 1980-1996 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Earlier entries are recorded in the Penkridge parish registers.
Bishops Transcripts, 1854-60 (with gaps 1856-7) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The chapelry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 18th July 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000, 2002]