Towns & Parishes
"Ellenhall is a village and parish, two and a half miles SSE of Eccleshall, including several good, modern houses, 280 inhabitants and about 1800 acres of land, of which the Earl of Lichfield is lord and owner, having purchased the manor about 40 years ago, from one of the descendants of the Harcourts, who had obtained it by marrying the heiress of the ancient family of the Noels, whose hall here is now occupied by a farmer, and from whom descended the Noels of Hilcote, in this county, and those of Ridlington in Rutlandshire."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The church, St Mary, is an ancient structure, but the nave and tower were rebuilt of brick about 60 years ago.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Earl of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev William Hickin, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Postcard of St Mary's Church c1903.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Mary, Ellenhall, commenced in 1539. The original registers for the period 1599-1903 (Bapts), 1563-1754 & 1813-1836 (Mar) & 1539-1964 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1673-1866 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
An indexed transcript of the registers for the period 1539-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1945, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The parish of Ellenhall became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]