"Endon, a pleasant scattered village and liberty, four miles SW by W of Leek, forms a township with Longsdon and Stanley, in the manor of Horton, and a chapelry (to Leek & Lowe parish), containing 1192 souls and about 5000 acres. The principal landowners are the Duke of Sutherland, the Earl of Macclesfield, T Sneyd, Esq, Samuel & William Phillips, Esqrs, and the Rev Joseph Dodd. Stone of excellent quality abounds in the vicinity, and an extensive quarry, at Moss Hall, is now being worked.
Longsdon is a hamlet of scattered houses, two miles WSW of Leek, including the lofty ridge called Ladder Edge. J Sneyd, and J Davenport, Esqrs, are owners of most of the soil. At Wall Grange and Ladder Edge, are the copious springs and extensive reservoirs of the Potteries Water Works.
Stanley is a hamlet on an eminence, five miles SW of Leek. The soil belongs chiefly to the occupants"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]