Towns & Parishes
"Endon, a pleasant scattered village and liberty, four miles SW by W of Leek, forms a township with Longsdon and Stanley, in the manor of Horton, and a chapelry (to Leek & Lowe parish), containing 1192 souls and about 5000 acres. The principal landowners are the Duke of Sutherland, the Earl of Macclesfield, T Sneyd, Esq, Samuel & William Phillips, Esqrs, and the Rev Joseph Dodd. Stone of excellent quality abounds in the vicinity, and an extensive quarry, at Moss Hall, is now being worked.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Longsdon is a hamlet of scattered houses, two miles WSW of Leek, including the lofty ridge called Ladder Edge. J Sneyd, and J Davenport, Esqrs, are owners of most of the soil. At Wall Grange and Ladder Edge, are the copious springs and extensive reservoirs of the Potteries Water Works.
Stanley is a hamlet on an eminence, five miles SW of Leek. The soil belongs chiefly to the occupants"
The population of Endon, Longsdon and Stanley township was as follows:
1831 -- 1003
1841 -- 1192
"The church, or parochial chapel, (St Luke), stands upon a commanding eminence at Endon, and has a tower. It was built in 1730 and contains tablets in memory of the Heaton family.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Earl of Macclesfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Daniel Turner.
There is a Wesleyan Chapel at Endon, built in 1835"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Luke, Endon, was a chapelry of Leek & Lowe parish, details of which can be found on the Leek and Lowe parish page.
A church, dedicated to St Chad, was erected in Longsdon in 1906 to serve the new ecclesiastical parish of Longsdon which was formed in 1905.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Luke, Endon, commences in 1731. The original registers for the period 1731-1984 (Bapts), 1863-1966 (Mar) & 1731-1977 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1805-1862 (Bapts & Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. (Post 1812 listed under 'Leek, Chapelry of Endon')
The register of St Chad, Longsdon, commences in 1906. The original registers for the period 1906-1994 (Bapts) & 1906-1993 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The following nonconformist registers are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office:
Endon Wesleyan Methodist, 1891-1923 (Mar)
Endon Stockton Brook Methodist, 1929-1976 (Mar)
A transcription of the section on Endon, Longsdon and Stanley from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Endon, Longsdon and Stanley Chapelry
The chapelry became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
The old pagan custom of well dressing is re-enacted every year in Endon during the Spring Bank Holiday weekend. The ancient ceremony, which is based on the pagan belief in well worship, was revived in 1845.
A well dressing queen is crowned four times, twice on the Saturday, and twice on the Monday when a fete is held in the village.
Morris Dancing and a Tossing the Sheaf competition are also held during the Well Dressing Fair on the Bank Holiday Monday.
[Last updated: 8th October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]