"The Parish Church, St Bartholomew, was formerly conventual, and belonged to a priory of Benedictine Nuns, founded here in 1140, by Roger Clinton, bishop of Lichfield, who endowed it with the mill, and all the land lying between the brooks, called Chestals and Blackesiche. Henry II confirmed this grant, and added to it 40 acres of land, cleared from woods, in the forest of Cannock. Upon the suppression of the lesser religious houses, in 1527, this nunnery and its possessions were given to Lichfield, for the support of the choristers. In 1747, the old nunnery chapel was taken down, and in the south wall, three rows of coarse earthen vessels were found. The mouths of these vessels were laid towards the church, and covered with a thin coat of plaster. About 80 years ago the church, except the chancel, was rebuilt of brick. It was repaired and new roofed in 1848. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesey, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Carte, BA, of Longton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]