Towns & Parishes
"Farewell and Chorley, are two picturesque hamlets, within a mile of each other, and forming a parish of 179 inhabitants, and about 470 acres of land, lying on the eastern side of Cannock Chase, from two to three miles NW of Lichfield. The Marquis of Anglesey is the principal owner, and lord of the manor.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Chorley Hall, an ancient mansion on the western side of the parish, was taken down some years ago, and its site is now occupied by a farm house. John Foster, and James and Joel Smith, Esqs. have estates here, and the latter has a pleasant seat, called Chorley Place."
The population of Farewell parish was as follows:
1831 -- 200
1841 -- 179
"The Parish Church, St Bartholomew, was formerly conventual, and belonged to a priory of Benedictine Nuns, founded here in 1140, by Roger Clinton, bishop of Lichfield, who endowed it with the mill, and all the land lying between the brooks, called Chestals and Blackesiche. Henry II confirmed this grant, and added to it 40 acres of land, cleared from woods, in the forest of Cannock. Upon the suppression of the lesser religious houses, in 1527, this nunnery and its possessions were given to Lichfield, for the support of the choristers. In 1747, the old nunnery chapel was taken down, and in the south wall, three rows of coarse earthen vessels were found. The mouths of these vessels were laid towards the church, and covered with a thin coat of plaster. About 80 years ago the church, except the chancel, was rebuilt of brick. It was repaired and new roofed in 1848. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesey, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Carte, BA, of Longton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Bartholomew commences in 1693. The original registers for the period 1693-1954 (Bapts), 1693-1971 (Mar) & 1693-1812 (Bur), (with gap 1744-56), and Banns for the period 1824-1946 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1666-1867 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Farewell from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Farewell parish became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 21st August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]