"Fradswell is a scattered village and township, distant seven miles N of Colwich, and seven miles NE of Stafford, situated in Colwich parish. It has 237 inhabitants, and 1100 acres of land, which forms a fertile but hilly district, adjoining Chartley Park. It was a chapelry, annexed to the village of Colwich, till February, 1851, when it was made a parish in its own right. Earl Ferrers is lord of the manor, but the Hall estate belongs to J Spode, Esq, and two other proprietors. The wake is on the first Sunday in August.
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]