Towns & Parishes
"Fradswell is a scattered village and township, distant seven miles N of Colwich, and seven miles NE of Stafford, situated in Colwich parish. It has 237 inhabitants, and 1100 acres of land, which forms a fertile but hilly district, adjoining Chartley Park. It was a chapelry, annexed to the village of Colwich, till February, 1851, when it was made a parish in its own right. Earl Ferrers is lord of the manor, but the Hall estate belongs to J Spode, Esq, and two other proprietors. The wake is on the first Sunday in August.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Fradswell township was as follows:
1831 -- 199
1841 -- 237
"The church (St James) is situated on the brow of a cliff, and was rebuilt in 1764, except the chancel, which is very ancient. As stated, it was a chapelry until 1851, when it was made a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar, and incumbency of the Rev Pelham Maitland, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St James, Fradswell, was a chapelry of Colwich parish, details of which can be found on the Colwich parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St James commences in 1578. The original registers for the period 1578-1914 (Bapts), 1578-1837 (Mar) & 1578-1978 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. The registers for the period before 1769 are damaged and not available to the public.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1666-1856 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
An indexed transcript of the St James registers for the period 1578-1900 (Bapts, Mar & Bur), and Bishops Transcripts for the period 1666-1857 was published in 2004 by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Fradswell was part of Colwich parish which became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 28th October 2004, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2004]