Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Fulford is a township and chapelry (of Stone parish), in the Hilderstone Quarter of Stone parish, six miles NE of Stone. Lady Pilkington, as heiress of the late Thomas Allen, Esq, is lady of the manor of Fulford. Fulford Wake is on the Sunday after All Saints Day.
Burston is a small hamlet on the Trent in the township of Fulford, three and a half miles SSE of Stone, with several good houses, and had anciently a chapel dedicated to the memory of Rufin, the second son of Wulfere, King of Mercia, but not a vestige of it now remains.
Stoke-by-Stone is a long straggling village in the township, on the Lichfield road, one mile SE of Stone, near the Trent & Mersey Canal."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Fulford township was as follows:
1841 -- 363
"Fulford church, St Nicholas, was a very ancient structure, but was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1824, through the exertions of the present incumbent, the Rev W Oliver.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of Lady Pilkington."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Fulford, St Nicholas formed a chapelry of Stone parish, details of which can be found on the Stone parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Fulford, St Nicholas, commences in 1800. The original registers for the period 1813-1944 (Bapts), 1800-1983 (Mar) and 1815-1935 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1809-1863 (with gaps 1856, 1858-62) are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office.
An indexed transcript of the Stone St Michael Bishops Transcripts (including Fulford Chapel) for the period 1638-1741 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Fulford which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ952379 (Lat/Lon: 52.938453, -2.072877), Fulford which are provided by:
The chapelry became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.