"Gratwich, in the vale of the Blythe, four miles W by S of Uttoxeter, is a small village and parish, containing only 119 inhabitants, and 848 acres of fertile land. Earl Talbot owns nearly all of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The farmers are Jeffrey and John Babb, Samuel Benyan, Thomas Elkins, and Samuel Lee, Thomas Wilson is the blacksmith." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Gratwich parish was as follows: 1831 -- 116 1841 -- 119
"The Parish Church, St Mary, was rebuilt in 1775, and is a small brick edifice. The living is a rectory in the patronage of Earl Talbot and incumbency of the Rev Thomas Powell Brown, MA." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The surviving parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1755. The original registers for the period 1813-1980 (Bapts), 1755-1970 (Mar) & 1813-1991(Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1680-1869 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.