Towns & Parishes
"Gratwich, in the vale of the Blythe, four miles W by S of Uttoxeter, is a small village and parish, containing only 119 inhabitants, and 848 acres of fertile land. Earl Talbot owns nearly all of the soil, and is lord of the manor.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The farmers are Jeffrey and John Babb, Samuel Benyan, Thomas Elkins, and Samuel Lee, Thomas Wilson is the blacksmith."
The population of Gratwich parish was as follows:
1831 -- 116
1841 -- 119
"The Parish Church, St Mary, was rebuilt in 1775, and is a small brick edifice. The living is a rectory in the patronage of Earl Talbot and incumbency of the Rev Thomas Powell Brown, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A view of St Mary's Church, Gratwich.
Church of England Registers
The surviving parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1755. The original registers for the period 1813-1980 (Bapts), 1755-1970 (Mar) & 1813-1991(Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1680-1869 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Gratwich parish became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 10th October 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000, 2002]