Towns & Parishes
"Grindon, eight miles E by S of Leek, is an indifferently built village, occupying a high moorland situation between the Hamps and Manyfold rivers, which unite their streams in a subterraneous channel, about one mile to the east. The parish contains 404 inhabitants, and 3186 acres of land, in two nearly equal divisions, called Grindon town and Grindon Township, which form one of the Alstonfield incorporated townships, and include the small hamlets of Deepdale, half a mile S; Ford, in the romantic valley of the Hamps, one mile W; Hillsdale, half a mile NW; and Martin's Lowe, one mile S of Grindon; together with a number of scattered houses, among which is Onecote Hall, a farm house belonging to the Earl of Macclesfield. Two thirds of the parish belong to the Henniker family. The wake is on the nearest Sunday to All Saints Day."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Grindon parish was as follows:
1831 -- 431
1841 -- 404
"The Parish Church, All Saints, was rebuilt in 1848-9, and is a handsome structure with a lofty spire, three bells and an organ. The rectory is in the patronage of Mrs Bradshaw and incumbency of the Rev HJ Stokes, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A view of All Saints Church (1).
A view of All Saints Church (2).
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1697. The original registers for the period 1697-1880 (Bapts), 1697-1981 (Mar) & 1697-1992 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1755-1958 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1679-1852 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
An indexed transcript of the All Saints register for the period 1679-1812 was published jointly in 2003 by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Grindon parish, together with Alstonfield township, Butterton and Wetton were incorporated under Gilbert's Act in 1817 for the support of their poor and had a workhouse in Alstonfield for about 50 paupers.
[Last updated: 18th February 2005, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2005]